Roms
Contact Us
Manuals & Schematics

Also Check Out
PinballShark.com
ATVFlorida.com
© 2014

Welcome to GamePlanPinball.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 09, 2020, 01:20:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  GamePlanPinball.com Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  Tech Corner
| | |-+  Help Troubleshooting a Real Cocktail pinball
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help Troubleshooting a Real Cocktail pinball  (Read 3674 times)
Jarlax

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »

Hello All,

I picked up a Game Plan Real cocktail table last weekend as a winter project.  This is my first pinball of any kind and I got it because I think it is a unusual conversation piece for the basement.  I am now trying to figure out how to get the game completely working before tearing it down to clean up the board and external cabinet. 

When I initially fired it up the game would turn on lights but that was it.  I found a blown fuse on the underside of the play surface and once I replaced that I started to get some life.  Now when the table starts I get the startup chimes and six flashes on the score board. I can push the start button and the ball will pop out for play.  This is where I am running into trouble.

A number of components are responding and appear to be scoring fine.  For example I can drop the ball in the C and B kick out holes and the chuck-o-luck will spin and points will add accordingly.  I can hit the front bumpers and points will add correctly and a chime will plan.  I can hit the outer lanes and the points will add correctly, increase the bonus, play a chime, etc.

But a number of components are not working and I am trying to understand what is wrong.  Both pop bumpers are not responding, kick-out hole A does not fire, the front left bumper will score but it will not fire the solenoid to push the ball (the right works fine), the rollover buttons do not score, and the spinners do not score. 

I kicked off the test process and when it runs its solenoid test all the solenoids appear to fire, including pop bumpers and kickout hole A.  Because so much of the playfield is responding and scoring and things like the number of players, ball count, end of game, etc. are working I am leaning towards the Solenoid driver board being faulty.  But since I am new to this I wanted to see if someone with more experience may have other thoughts or tests I can try. 
If it is the solenoid drive board, how can I find out what is wrong or is there anywhere that I can get a new board?
I appreciate any help that is offered.

John  afro
BriMc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »

There are a bunch of connectors coming off the playfield some square white ones and some off white / tan rectangular ones, re-pin them. I have people calling me on a weekly basis asking about how to fix gremlins in there Gameplan machines and the first thing I ask is, did your repin the connectors? No? call me back when your done,  seven times out of 10 the problems have gone away. It is tedious, boring, and not fun but it will save you a lot of time.
Jarlax

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:05:53 PM »

Just to follow up on this post, I did find the issue with my Real cocktail pin.  One of the tilt switches inside the cabinet was bent and always touching the side.  So every time the game fired up it was in a tilt state which disabled the middle of the playfield.  Once I corrected the tile pendulum everything came back to life.

I discovered this by putting it in test mode and going to the switch test state.  Once there I noticed that it was stuck on a certain number.  If I closed another switch it did show but it always defaulted back to this certain number (forget what it was) which was not the default it should have shown.  The manual listed all the switches and what the default should have been.  Using that manual list I saw it was the tilt and that led me to the problem.

A few minor glitches to work out but I am almost back to a 100% working cocktail pin!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length