Roms
Contact Us
Manuals & Schematics

Also Check Out
PinballShark.com
ATVFlorida.com
© 2014

Welcome to GamePlanPinball.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2020, 06:07:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  GamePlanPinball.com Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  Tech Corner
| | |-+  Star trip woes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Star trip woes  (Read 3059 times)
robert575

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »

I was recently given a Star Trip pin.  The  cord was cut, acid leak on mpu, a few bulbs and fuses blown, and the sheathing on a couple of wires from the transformer was melted. The legs on a transistor and capacitor was destroyed from the acid. I fixed the cord, cleaned the mpu the best I could with carbon tet, jumped the bus bar on mpu board with wire scavenged from an old tv circut board, replaced the cap, transistor, and battery.  Also replaced the pop up target solenoid, because it was burning out. I freed the melted wires, and resheathed them. Long story short, it is almost 100%, but my electrical diagnostic skills are lacking.
  All lights come on, flippers work, scoring switches work, score panel works, sound panel makes noises.
  Solenoids for slingshots, pop up targets, and ball return do not work.  In addition, the under playfield 250V fuse keeps blowing.  Another curious point, I can only get the machine to go into play mode by jiggling the harness connected to the bottom of the mpu board.  If I do that, I can play it, but without those solenoids I've got to manually free the ball from traps, and of course there is no pop up or sling action.  Hope these clues are enough...  can anyone give me some insight?Huh  Oh yeah, led light does not work. Anyone know the specs on that part?
BriMc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

My thoughts on the jiggling harness would be that the connector or pins to that harness either got acid on them or there is a cold solder joint. Rebuild the connector and polish the pins and if needed replace the pin header.
 On the fuse blowing it sounds like one of solenoids is shorting, you are going to have to ohm them out to see which one is bad.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length