Roms

Contact Us

Manuals & Schematics

Also Check Out

PinballShark.com

ATVFlorida.com

© 2021

Welcome to GamePlanPinball.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2022, 08:43:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  GamePlanPinball.com Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  Tech Corner
| | |-+  1984 Sharp Shooter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1984 Sharp Shooter  (Read 6442 times)
lostboy

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »

Hello,

I am glad I found this site. I was very interested in learning more about the history of Game Plan Inc. I bought my first Pinball machine this past weekend and it was a 1984 Sharp Shooter and great condition. It played perfectly all weekend and all of the sudden on Monday night it started to stop displaying the scores and the PF was dead except the flippers. Turning it off and back on again seemed to remedy this problem but it would happen soon and soon between having to turn it off and back on. Later that night in frustration I tried it again and it started working flawlessly again. That was very short lived and it started smoking from under the glass and coin door. I quickly unplugged it and opened the box up front and smoke came out. I can't tell where it came from.

I really like this machine. I like the history or storyline of Game Plan. I'm just not sure what I should do now. I paid $695.00 for this machine and a local expert here in Minnesota can rebuild and refurbish it for $350-$450, I'm just not sure what it is even worth or even if it has any value at all. Everything on the machine actually worked until it started smoking. All the lights, all the bumpers, flippers, everything. It was actually really cool to have it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, this is my first stab at owning a Pinball machine and I am looking to have these be a part of me for the rest of my life. smiley

About me?
I am 29 years old, I live in Woodbury, Minnesota. I own a software company and consult for the largest consumer electronics company in the world. They actually sell pinballs now. smiley I had no idea. smiley

Thanks so much for the info I have already learned.

LB
Pinball Shark
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »

Welcome to the site.

Are you saying smoke was coming out of the coin door when you opened it?

lostboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »

Thank you very much. When we opened it we could see smoke under the PF from the coin door. Most of the smoke was coming out of the top part where the scores are and all the electronic equipment is located. I believe that is called the Black Box?

PapaJohn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »

Does it have battery acid leakage on the mpu?  Sounds like something has shorted out in the backbox.  A tech will probably figure it out and fix it.  Don't give up on the machine.  If you like the gameplay and looks of the machine, pay the price and fix it and enjoy it.  Some of the Gameplan pins don't seem as popular with the pinball community but so what!!  I bought an Old Coney Island pin recently in good condition and am now in the process of changing all the #44 lamp sockets and installing new leaf switches because I like the pin knowing I won't recover the cost if I sell it.  Big deal.....I like the pin.  Once you get your pin working fine, you will enjoy it for many years.      John
BriMc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »

Welcome to the Group, it sounds like a coil locked on and burnt up or a Cap lit up. As papajohn said if you like the machine either repair it or have it repaired with the idea of keeping it. Because Gp machines are not well known and there were not that many built they do not have a high resale value. Most of the GP machines I sell I usually break even on them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:50:29 PM by BriMc » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length