Roms
Contact Us
Manuals & Schematics

Also Check Out
PinballShark.com
ATVFlorida.com
© 2014

Welcome to GamePlanPinball.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 04:00:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  GamePlanPinball.com Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  Open Discussion
| | |-+  Restoration projects
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Restoration projects  (Read 3679 times)
Mikael

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:31 PM »

Last summer a friend of mine brought a Sharp shooter and a Coney island to my garage/workshop with an íoffer you canít refuseí. Fix the Sharp shooter and keep the Coney island as payment.

The SS should work electrical and just needed some cleaning and new rubbers. It did probably work last time it was powered off, maybe 10-15 years ago but now it was stone dead, the CPU didnít boot at all. This CPU board has no acid damage, some clever guy had replaced the original accumulator before it had start leaking. 
I spent some time disassembling the Z80 program code to see what was supposed to happen when resetting the CPU board and found out that the guy programming the machine probably was quite drunk at the time. I did instead download the program code from IPDB, and that was a whole new story. It turned out that the original ROMís had got messed up during the time causing that the processor was trying to execute rubbish. Rebuilding the board to accept EPROMís solved the case and suddenly it was life in the machine.

I have now spent 50-75 hours disassembling, cleaning and putting it back together again. And now itís in quite good condition.
There are some minor wear at the play field and the mylar is almost worn off, but concerning itís age the condition is OK.

I will now start working at my Coney island, which really will be a challenge.
By the look of it, it has been stored a lot of years in a barn, without the play field glass. There is rust both on the top of the playfield and inside the machine The silver ball, which still was in the machine even though that the glass was missing, is no longer silver. The colour is now more on the reddish brown side.
The cabinet is in bad condition with cracks, scratches and flaking colour. The play field is heavy worn and the colours have become really dull.
I can see what it might have looked like through the mylar by the kickers. On top of it the CPU board is heavily acid damaged.

I did some work at the CPU board while working with the SS CPU, repaired some traces, repaired the reset circuitry and rebuild it for EPROMís, the romís at this board was also bad. I have now got it to boot, most of the times, sometimes I just have three LED flashes and the cause is the socket for the 6810 RAM. If I lift the IC and gently push it back again, the CPU boots again, a new socket is needed. When it boots it runs fine in attract mode, but the switch matrix is completely dead. I have some weird readings when measuring round the LM339 IC18. There is some acid damage round the IC so I will remove it, clean and check the traces under it and insert a new IC to see if it solves the problem.
Luckily I have the working SS CPU to compare against.

But once the CPU is repaired I need to decide what to do with the rest of the machine. It will be possible to play at it after some cleaning and new rubbers, but the general condition is really bad. I have wanted to try to touch up and clear coat a playfield for a long time. And also try to create templates of the artwork and repaint a cabinet. But once trying something like that there is no turning back. What is your opinion? Would it be better to keep it in its bad condition, but still original. Or should I go for the full kit of touch up, clear coat and repainting the cab? Or will I destroy an item of great cultural value by doing something like that, even if the result would turn out to be good? Does any one reading this have any experience of restoration job like that? I could try to upload some photos in the Photo gallery if you want to see what it looks like. One tempting thing, in case I should go for the repaint, would be to paint it blue as it was displayed at the flyer, my machine is white and I have only seen white machines at the internet. Does any one know if any blue machines was delivered from the factory or if all of them was white?
Alex-Brown

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »

They where made in white and blue. I have never seen a blue one in North america, mostly just in Europe.

Thx Alex
Mikael

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »

So painting it in blue wouldnít be revolutionary, but I think that the blue version looks so much better than the white. But I have already spent too much time with the playfield, so I'm not sure that I will find time to also repaint the cabinet.

I have tried to find out how to publish pictures in the forum, but no success. Instead I have put some pictures and text in a blog: http://pin-fix.blogspot.com. I had no intention blogging about it from the beginning so I didn't took as many pictures as I would like to have done. Any feed back would be appreciated smiley   I'll try to continue publish in the blogg, just in case someone reads it.
BriMc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »

Hi Mikael,

It is a catch 22 what color you paint the cabinet. Coney looks great in blue as I had one and sold it not knowing what I had. Now me being a Libra here are my thoughts, where the catch comes in is if I am a collector I want the machine in its original color.We do not know where the market for GP pins will go in the next five years I suppose the demand will go up so original would be worth more. Now again being a Libra I think Coney would also look great in true red.  grin
Mikael

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »

Hmm, havn't thought about red before smiley
I added some pictures of the cabinet to the blog and I would really appreciate your opinions of repaint or not.
BriMc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »

I have seen one in red and it looked pretty nice
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length