Roms
Contact Us
Manuals & Schematics

Also Check Out
PinballShark.com
ATVFlorida.com
© 2014

Welcome to GamePlanPinball.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2019, 03:11:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  GamePlanPinball.com Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  Tech Corner
| | |-+  Sharp Shooter CPU Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sharp Shooter CPU Issues  (Read 8632 times)
coney island

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:42:22 PM »

OK, heres a good one for the experts out there: My Beloved SS worked fine a few weeks ago. Now, upon powering the Pin up: 1. All GI Lights come on. 2. CPU LED Lights up 6 times. 3. CPU goes dead while GI Lights and scoring stays lit. 4. Cant start a game with start button or by adding credits thru the coin mechs. 5. Maunal says that it is an output issue, meaning U14-U23 may be bad. 6. Anything else I am missing? Finally: If I do indeed have to send the CPU off to Clive, might I be better to replace the whole D*mn thing rather then to have other issues "creep" up in the future? Thanks in advance for any insight or help!~Coney.  huh
wintonpinball

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »

Hi, do you own a sharp shooter?

A friend and I have just this very day bought a 1978 Sharpshooter pinball machine. We've got it home and plugged it in. Set free play (8th DIP to ON), so that the coin mechanism is redundant and powered on the machine.

On start up there is no flashing of the MPU LED (it's meant to flash 6 times, right?) and the display reads, if viewing display with back glass:

DISPLAY 1  ..... 0
DISPLAY 2  ..... 0
DISPLAY 3  ..... d
DISPLAY 4  ..... j
BOTTOM CENTRE RIGHT (just to the left of the number 4) ..... 2

We've got a refurbishment kit coming in the next week or so that contains a user manual, LED bulbs, standard bulbs, fuses and other common items (rubbers etc), is there anything else we may need that springs to mind?

Please be aware we are two new starters who are keen to learn! 

vinito

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:58:56 PM »

Hi guys. This applies to both the above posts.

There's not much traffic at all here anymore. There are a couple guys who would be an excellent source for advice but I don't know if they even check this page these days.

Your best bet for some answers is to post your questions on the Rec Games Pinball newsgroup (RGP), which you can access via Google if you don't already use a news reader.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball

Be sure to check Marvin's repair site if you haven't already. It's awesome.
http://www.pinrepair.com/gp/index.htm

My opinion on your board:
First and foremost, read, understand and follow the Marvin's guide first. This will take a good chunk of time, but depending on your temperament it can be a lot of fun.
Since you're new to it, there's no harm in giving it a shot. I would recommend that you use a good soldering iron. Don't even try it with a Radio Shack junker. A good Hakko or Weller (or the like) with temperature control (not just a wattage rating) makes a huge difference when doing board work. Repairing a board is difficult enough even with good equipment. Don't make it worse by using a cheap iron. I speak from experience - my first game was a Game Plan and I tried rebuilding it with a cheapie iron. I did OK for what I had to work with. My attempt was a failure, which may or may not have been any different if I had a good iron. All I know is that once I got my good soldering equipment, the ease and quality instantly shot up many times over.

The reason there is "no harm" in trying it yourself is that Echo Lake pinball makes a new replacement which you can buy if your luck runs south.
http://www.gameplanpinball.com/forum/index.php/topic,40.0.html

Repairing a board isn't easy, but if you're careful and are good with working on small things, it can certainly be done. If you don't have soldering experience at all, I wouldn't recommend that you start new by trying a board repair. There are tricks and it takes a certain touch and you can almost guarantee dong more harm than good if you haven't done any board soldering before.

What I would say is the bare-bones essential tool kit for board repair:
Good temperature-controlled soldering iron.

rosin paste flux for electronics (not acid flux)

a visor magnifier (awesomely easier to do this stuff with a magnifying visor)

Either desoldering wick (inexpensive but very time-consuming) or a solder sucker (also cheap and somewhat time-consuming, but another option that works) or a desoldering gun (much more expensive but much easier, faster and does higher quality work)

A nice, bright work light

Marvin's repair guide.

A bit of luck.

There ya go. Good luck.
Spooky Rides

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »

In talking to "Clive" of the Coin-op Cauldren, one thing for GP issues to also consider is replacing the large capacitator on the Power supply as it controls the 5 v. and if its the big blue one, should have been replaced years ago with something value wise around: 15k/25 volts. If it is going bad, all kid of issues can happen upon trying to start up the pin. Thanks! :-I
OliverMack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »

OK, heres a good one for the experts out there: My Beloved SS worked fine a few weeks ago. Now, upon powering the Pin up: 1. All GI Lights come on. 2. CPU led lighting up 6 times. 3. CPU goes dead while GI Lights and scoring stays lit. 4. Cant start a game with start button or by adding credits thru the coin mechs. 5. Maunal says that it is an output issue, meaning U14-U23 may be bad. 6. Anything else I am missing? Finally: If I do indeed have to send the CPU off to Clive, might I be better to replace the whole D*mn thing rather then to have other issues "creep" up in the future? Thanks in advance for any insight or help!~Coney.  huh

Hello friend I know thread is bit old but I am facing similar sharp shooter CPU Issues.. Please help me if you can..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:55:09 AM by OliverMack » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length